Refurbished Purse: Paintified, Leatherfied, and Studified

I found a purse that I probably bought years ago and never used. The material was probably very cheap and so it started tearing and peeling... so instead of throwing it away I decided that it needed to be fixed. Here are photos with my new and improved purse from my random photo shoot (as in I jumped out of the car and someone took these photos within 3 minutes time...I know, so professional).

Here is what it use to look like:



I used left over leather from my No Sew: DIY Clutch Project and ordered studs.


First I painted the leather with red acrylic paint to bring a pop of color. I followed the technique from my other DIY Project.

I didn't have a rotary leather hole punch...so I used the next best thing, a push pin. It probably took a lot longer, but it definitely got the job done. The studs I used were 2 pronged, so I poked 2 holes and inserted the stud. Then I used a plier to bend the sides from the other end.

I suggest poking holes first and measuring it out so that the studs will line up straight.
And in the end you will get something as wonderful as this:

After I finished, I used leather glue to attach it to the part of the purse that was tearing apart. I laid about 2 engineering books on there (I knew they would come in handy again). And let it stay for about a day to make sure it was fully dried.

Then I realized it was missing something, so after days of contemplation I decided to go with tassels. I still had left over leather and I painted it red to match the other piece I glued on. I slightly followed this tutorial to make the tassels.  I used leather glue instead and a jewelry chain that I just happened to have. I sewed the last loop of the chain to the end corner of the leather in order to secure it. After you glue it, I suggest tying a rubber band around it to make sure the glue sticks.

Also, I took out the Tommy Hilfiger buckle because I felt like it didn't fit and added studs instead.

And when that was done.. I still felt like there was something missing. So I painted a red acrylic stripe on each side to bring it all together.

Seriously, this post is picture overload. I think I am just super proud of how this bag came out. Here is another one to add to the mix:



Comments

  1. that is seriously awesome! good job..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing!
    xx

    www.queenoffunkydiy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That purse is cute! Nice pictures! Hope you cna check out my blog and if you like it we can follow each other! xoxo
    http://purpleelixir.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bag is AMAZING.
    AMAZING :O

    Sahar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't throw it away, it's beautiful!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great look. I am following you. I got a giveaway at my blog and I would love you to enter. <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEY THERE! I JUST WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I AM GIVING AWAY A BCBG SILK SCARF!

    IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE GO ON

    https://www.facebook.com/hugyouonline

    LIKE AND TAG YOURSELF ON THE SCARF IMAGE!

    I WILL CHOOSE ONE OF YOU AND CONTACT YOU PERSONALLY IN CASE YOU WIN!

    GOOD LUCK LADY <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautfiul bag!!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I want that studded clutch! lovely

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice blog! greetings from Poland! ;]

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's one lovely clutch, love how it kind of compliments your scarf!

    Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow you are so creative, love how the purse turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice bag and scarf!:)

    enamodeuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks amazing, great job.

    http://missmollyfashions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. how u r very creative !!love the studded bag!!
    anyways i just came across ur blog...n i think its amazing!!! i would love to see more of ur upcoming posts in the future...So how abt we follow each other?? XOXO
    More2mystylediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love yor blog and this amazing outfit!!! xoxo from Rome

    GUCCI GIVEAWAY On My BLOG:

    http://www.rockandfrock.com/2011/12/rockandfrock-christmas-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool clutch! I like!


    http://thefashioninbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's perfect! you're very talented :)

    kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your bag!!!
    Thanks for stopping by!!
    I'm following you! And you? Can you follow me also on Bloglovin? :)
    Give a pass by the mine. ^_^
    kiss,yumiKo
    MY BLOG

    FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN

    MY FACEBOOK PAGE

    MY TWITTER

    MY FASHION NEWS

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so amazing, I'm in LOVE with it!
    xoxo
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable! :) I love your blog, take a minute to look at mine when you get the chance!

    Ellen
    www.seizethestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow! this looks nothing like the original! so cute!!!

    www.sugarfilledcloset.com
    Newest Post: Dolce Vita Booties

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your bag and scarf... Leather is great... You've got a really cool blog...
    Come by sometime and if you like we can follow each other...

    Hi_D

    http://cuterandomthings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute purse, love the studded details on it :)

    www.coffeecreamandthecaffeine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow what a great idea, i love it :)

    www.clothesmaiden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so cute! I never would have guessed that you refashioned it! You're amazing, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the tassled bag! =)

    pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous! Great job on fixing it up :) Looks expensive and chic!

    Xo Chelle
    discoveringelegance.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow love what you did! Makes me want to go and get creative! http://dayshaprettylittlethings.blogsopot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't you just love it when that happens? I love going shopping in my old clothes!!

    http://southandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: No-sew Leather Clutch

DIY: Peter Pan Embellished Detachable Collar

Imaginary Shopping.