DIY Recipe: Broccoli Salad
Lately, I've been into trying out new recipes and I wonder if it has anything to do with Spring. I love how it is still daylight by the time I get home from work and it makes me want to be productive. My goal this spring is to incorporate veggies into my everyday meals. I definitely do not get enough of those things called vegetables.This isn't really a diet in terms of portion control or anything because I know for a FACT that I have no self control; this is evident by the fact that I ate more than half of those Magic in the Middle Cookies I made. So the least I can do is to introduce myself to something good in my food (and continue to eat a lot of it).
So this time I made a Broccoli Salad; it has greens and it has BACON. How can that not be a winning combination for my new goal?
SERVINGS: ~5 PREP TIME: ~30-45 MIN
3 strips of bacon
1 head of broccoli
1/4 of a purple onion
2/3 C candied walnuts (you can buy this prepackaged, or make them yourself)
1/4 C raisins
1/2 C of mayonnaise
1 TB white wine vinegar
2 TB sugar
2 tsp honey
CANDIED WALNUTS INGREDIENTS:
2/3 C of walnuts
2 TB honey
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
1, Cook bacon and chop into small pieces.
2. Cut broccoli into florets
3. Dice the onion (as small as possible)
1. Mix mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar and honey together until smooth.
CANDIED WALNUTS DIRECTIONS:
1. Take 2/3 C of walnuts and toast in a pan on medium-low heat.
2. When you begin to get a fragrant smell from toasting the walnuts, add 2 TB honey, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
3. Turn off the heat and add the 2 tsp of granulated sugar.
1. Add broccoli, bacon, onion in a bowl.
2. Add dressing and mix with other ingredients in the bowl.
3. Top with walnuts and raisins. (You can add this to the bowl in step 1... but if I was serving this to others I would let the guests add these because sometimes people aren't a fan of raisins or walnuts).
4. Refrigerate it or eat it!
This salad required more prep time than a usual salad, but it was pretty delicious. The salad tastes way better if you let it marinade in the fridge for a little. But as usual, I have no self control and ate it right away and it tasted good. I got battle scars from making this salad.. I burned myself cooking the bacon... so the taste made up for my burns. Totally worth it. Anything for bacon.