The Sew Helpful Brigade

Joann's Tutorial, DIY, Masks, DIY Masks, PPE, DIY PPE


I have a lot of projects going on since working from home and it includes the following: painting, sourdough bread making, pizza from scratch making, cooking, gardening, exercising, and mask making. Before my furlough, I had started on all these projects and was looking for something more to do. I happened to see an article on LAIST about The Sew Helpful Brigade looking for 200 volunteers to help sew PPE for health care workers. So far, they have sewn 3,000 PPEs and want to sew another 30,000! I will be sewing 48 masks during my furlough. The great thing about them is they provide the fabric, elastic and wires; all you need is a sewing machine, scissors, thread and some time on your hands! It can either be shipped (anywhere in U.S) or picked up (if you are in the LA/OC area).

They sent me an email with a link to a Joann's Fabric tutorial (see below). Apparently, the design has been approved by medical professionals for use, but must also include a 3" nose wire.


Here are some pictures of my mask making so far:

mask, making, mask making, PPE, sewing machine
Me and my trusty sewing machine.

interface, cutting, mask, making, mask making
Cutting interface.
masks, sewing, PPE, mask making, mask, making, assembly, assembling
Finished sewing 1 red mask for The Sew Helpful Brigade. Cut and assembled 25 pieces of fabric and interface to be sewn and 2 personal masks Musui helped me finish making.

mask, PPE, sewing, mask making
My 1st personal mask I made for myself. Free People tank.

Volunteering has made me feel a little less helpless during these strange times and great about being able to help others. If you are interested in helping out, please email: sewhelpfulteam@gmail.com. You can also follow them on IG @Sew.Helpful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: No-sew Leather Clutch

DIY: Peter Pan Embellished Detachable Collar

Imaginary Shopping.